Monday, February 1, 2010

"Pure" Religion


James 1:27 states that "pure and undefiled religion" or some translations say "faulty religion". So we have religion, or better yet, a type of religion that is pure - undefiled - one that God himself accepts. That tells me that the flip side of the coin represents a "faulty" or "defiled" religion... and that all religion is not good. So what is it? What type of religion should we be striving for to be in Christ's favor? Well he describes it about as clear as crystal. "To care for the widows and orphans in their distress." I guess the question I have to ask myself is am I?

I can talk a good talk as well as anyone. But what about acting upon it? Caring for the orphans has always been on my heart, and lately even more so. It seems God won't quit smacking me on the ear to let me know He's still there. It's as if He is saying "that's all you got Steve? You can't do anything more?" "We'll talk later when you come to my place."

It's the comfort factor. Why step out of my comfort zone? Because I don't want to let go of control. "Religion", as defined by us, is what God hates. The legalistic, fundamentalistic type of religion makes Him sick. In Malachi He gives us good insight to His thoughts on twisted religion. In Matthew Jesus tells us what He thinks of the Pharasitical thought process and lifestyle. We are on this earth for a nano second in the grand scale of eternity, and we will face Jesus at some point. Isn't it about time for us (me) to start living out His desires now.

He also tells us to care for the least of these. Ask yourself what you are doing to care for the least of these? What if you were one of the least of these. What would you want from the so called "Christians" Pray about what you can do. Adopt, support financially to a cause for the needy? Get involved in an outreach program here locally? Pray.

Tomorrow could be too late. James 1:27

No comments: