Sunday, May 24, 2009

It's Just Outside Your Front Door


It starts in our own backyard.  Sometimes we get so caught up in foreign missions we forget about our own surroundings.  Maybe it's just naivety in the fact that we think someone else is taking care of it, or maybe we are just cowards.  Cowards in the sense that these are the people we live with, work with, and play with.  What if they knew exactly how we felt about Jesus.  After all it's way easier to preach the gospel to someone you don't know who doesn't live where you live.  Right?  There's no fear of rejection.  And if rejection did happen - not a big deal, you'll probably never see them again.  Easy.  I guess the real question here, without going off on a tangent, is if you are a Christian, why wouldn't the poeple you hang with know exactly how you feel about Jesus?  Alright, staying focused here.  

Global missions ARE needed, and are as important as anything.  In fact I personally have a soft spot in my heart for Africa.  The AIDS orphans and villages that have been devastated and ravaged resonate deep within me.  I will go there someday.  Hopefully more than once.   Other nations that are in dire straits also need our help, and we should help out of love and compassion, not out of duty or responsibility.  However;  coming back around to the locals -  here is what I came across this morning while reading the Bible.   I was actually reading out of "The Message."  The Message is a paraphrase of the Bible, not a translation, but sometimes gives a fresh relevant approach.  It's good to broaden your scope of reading and not get sucked into a single only translation.  i.e. KJV only or NIV only.  So here is what spoke to me this morning while reading in Matthew.  

Jesus is addressing the crowd and states that the harvest is great and the workers are few.  He then calls his 12 disciples up and gives them this direction.  "Don't "begin" by traveling to some far off place to convert unbelievers.  And don't try to be dramatic by tackling some public enemy.  Go to the lost confused people RIGHT HERE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD!"  ..."Don't think you have to put on a fund raising campaign before you start.   You don't need a lot of equipment, you are the equipment!"  I like what Jesus says next - "All you need is three meals a day...travel light."    Now understand this is a paraphrase version, these are not the literal words of Christ, but the message is there plain and simple.  

So yes, let's continue to focus globally.  Like our mission statement at our church "Journey"  Let's transform the world by starting in Bend Oregon.  Don't think that's really possible?  How many people did Jesus call up to hit the local neighborhood?  12.  Look what's happened.

3 comments:

Jack said...

So true! I was just thinking about this the other day. There is so much need right here in Bend, OR..we walk or drive right passed every day!

E.N. Holiday said...

Steve! Life sucks sometimes... I've been going through a really, really tough spot myself. I'm praying for you brother. I really respect and appreciate your faith in our Lord Jesus. You give me inspiration to love and rely on him in a deeper more profound way. And for that I am thankful! You and your family are in my prayers, may the Lord do what he sees fit and may you praise him through it all. Just like when (Acts 16) Paul and Silas got the mess beat out of them and thrown into jail... they just prayed and sang songs to the King! then when they had the opportunity to escape (a reasonable thing to do for two innocent guys... they just stuck around and kept living the gospel, until they had shared the hope and life of Christ with the jailer and his whole family!!! How cool is that?!) I hope you don't end up in jail, but I pray the the Holy spirit would profoundly come upon you and your family, that in the most difficult of times, and as Jesus says, there will be trouble... that ya'll will stand firm in Him! Love and Blessings heading your way from down south!

Peace and Love

Joshua Conn said...

Steve,

One of my favorite sayings is this... "In order to solve the problems of the world you have to solve the ones on your door step first." That being said, I wanted to send you a great article I received that talks about doing the hard work of planting a church in the community. I will e-mail it to you...

peace and hang tough